Keto Shopping List: Meat
Generally speaking, meats are typically a safe bet.Most meat sources are naturally carb-free.
However, meats are also very good sources of protein. While protein is a very important component for both general health and the ketogenic diet, too much protein can actually be anti-ketogenic.
When following the keto diet, you should be sure to watch how much meat, and thus protein, you consume. Also, watch out for added carbohydrates in pre-prepared and processed meats.
Common meats to find added carbs include: sausages, ham, burgers, meatballs, meatloaf, etc
- Beef 1 Serving | Total Fat: 8g | Total Carbs: 0g | Protein: 4g
- Turkey 1 Serving | Total Fat: .5g | Total Carbs: 1.2g | Protein: 4.8g
- Goat 1 Serving | Total Fat: 2.6g | Total Carbs: 0g | Protein: 23g
- Ham 1 Serving | Total Fat: 4.7g | Total Carbs: 1.3g | Protein: 18g
- Hen 1 Serving | Total Fat: 3g | Total Carbs: 0g | Protein: 9g
- Quail 1 Serving | Total Fat: 4g | Total Carbs: 0g | Protein: 7g
- Veal Raw | Total Fat: 1.9g | Total Carbs: 0g | Protein: 5.4g
- Bison Cooked | Total Fat: 7.3g | Total Carbs: 0g | Protein: 21.6g
- Caribou Raw | Total Fat: 1g | Total Carbs: 0g | Protein: 6.4g
- Elk Raw | Total Fat: .4g | Total Carbs: 0g | Protein: 6.4g
- Beef Jerky 1 Serving | Total Fat: 7g | Total Carbs: 3.1g | Protein: 9g
- Salami Cooked | Total Fat: 7.3g | Total Carbs: .7g | Protein: 6.1g
- Bologna | Total Fat: 7.3g | Total Carbs: 1.6g | Protein: 2.8g
Costco Keto Diet Grocery List
- Almond Flour Kirkland Brand is the cheapest option for this keto baking staple.
- Sardines High in Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Powdered Bone Broth All the bone broth benefits for just $1 per packet.
- Protein bars Costco protein bars are keto friendly and cheaper than Quest bars.
- Cheese Crisps Costco carries Moon Cheese and Cello Whisps, our best friend when we travel.
Click here for more info on shopping keto at Costco.
How To Use The Keto Food Shopping List
The grocery store may feel like a whole new world after using thisshopping guide.
Although keto may appear simple in practice, choosing the wrong keto foods can take you out of ketosis or prevent you from ever getting there.
As youll see, we stress theimportance of whole food purchases and staying away from processed goods.
This keto food list will provide several dietary options fitting within the confines of the keto diet, but keep in mind this is not a comprehensive list.
Before we dive into the keto food choices, lets go over some basic fundamental steps before setting foot in the grocery store. This is like laying the foundation of a lifestyle change.
Also Check: How To Poop On Keto
Keto Shopping List: Soy
Most standard soy-based vegan meat alternatives are OK for your keto shopping list. Soybeans are very high in fat and protein, but do contain a fair amount of carbohydrates.
Be careful not to eat too much of soy-based products as your total carb intake could climb. Also, be careful as to how the soy-based products are prepared.
Companies can sneak sugars and carbs in anywhere.
- Soy Milk 1 Cup | Total Fat: 4.3g | Total Carbs: 15g | Protein: 8g
- Tofu 1 Cup | Total Fat: 12g | Total Carbs: 4.6g | Protein: 20g
- Soybeans Raw | Total Fat: 37g | Total Carbs: 56g | Protein: 68g
- Tempeh Cooked | Total Fat: 11g | Total Carbs: 9g | Protein: 18g
- Soy Nuts Dry Roasted | Total Fat: 37.2g | Total Carbs: 56.3g | Protein: 68.1g
- Edamame Cooked | Total Fat: 8g | Total Carbs: 15g | Protein: 17g
- Boca Burger 1 Patty | Total Fat: .5g | Total Carbs: 6g | Protein: 13g
- Morning Star Farms 2 Strips | Total Fat: 4.5g | Total Carbs: 2g | Protein: 2g
- Morning Star Farms 1 Link | Total Fat: .5g | Total Carbs: 4g | Protein: 7g
- Morning Star Farms 1 Patty | Total Fat: 3g | Total Carbs: 3g | Protein: 9g
- Gardein 3 Meatballs | Total Fat: 7g | Total Carbs: 9g | Protein: 15g
- Boca Burger 1 Burger | Total Fat: 4.5g | Total Carbs: 5g | Protein: 15g
- Gardein 2 Pieces | Total Fat: 4.5g | Total Carbs: 8g | Protein: 8g
How To Make A Keto Grocery List
Putting together a keto diet shopping list for beginners is similar to making any other grocery list the main difference is the foods youll add.
- Take stock of your kitchen. Most people have several keto foods already on-hand. See what you have stored in your fridge and cupboards before you head to the store.
- Get recipe inspiration. Use these keto recipes as inspiration for using up the ingredients you already have. Or, use a customizable keto meal plan to plan ideas for the whole week in minutes.
- Build meals around what you have on-hand. If you have keto proteins, veggies, and fats on-hand, you already have the basic components of a keto meal!
- Add everything that remains to your keto shopping list. Write down whats missing from the recipes you want to make this week, and just like that your keto grocery shopping list is ready!
Read Also: Why Can T You Eat Beans On Keto
Yikes So Is It Healthy
The diets health benefits are backed up with quite a few studies and is generally seen as healthy in the short term. However, it must be pointed out that there hasnt been any research into the long-term effects.
Some dieticians certainly have some apprehensions about the diet. Some claim that your bad cholesterol may rise on the diet, from eating all that steak, cream, cheese, and butter. This will leave you at risk of developing heart disease . The lack of fiber in your diet can also put you at risk of bowel cancer, and can cause bad constipation.
Those with either type 1 or 2 diabetes may also be at risk of ketoacidosis: a very serious condition. This is when ketones dont get used and are turned into acid.
First Of All What Are The Basic Rules Of The Keto Diet And How Do You Get Started
While everyone’s body and needs are slightly different, the traditional keto diet typically follows this formula:
- 60 to 75 percent of your calories come from fat
- 15 to 30 percent of your calories come from protein
- 5 to 10 percent of your calories come from carbs
That usually means eating no more than 50 grams of carbs a day , though there are some more flexible versions of the keto diet. After about two to seven days of following the keto diet, you go into something called ketosis, or the state your body enters when it doesn’t have enough carbs for your cells to use for energy. That’s when you start making ketones, or organic compounds that your bod then uses in place of those missing carbs. At this point, your body also starts burning fat for more energy, leading to weight loss.
If you’re not sure what to eat to get started on the keto diet, you can find a week-long meal plan here. Once you get familiar with eating low-carb, you’ll be able to whip up your own meals that fit into the keto diet .
Recommended Reading: Can’t Poop On Keto
Your Ultimate Keto Shopping List
Remember as with any diet, keep it simple and affordable and if you can, youll do yourself a tremendous favour by planning your meals in advance.
If youre entirely new to the world of health and fitness, you should consider investing in a fitness and meal planner. A fitness planner such as this one will keep you on track will meals and exercise.
So What Items Should I Take Off My Grocery List
There are a few aisles you can skip if you’re committing to keto. Here are the non-keto-friendly items you will no longer need to stock your fridge and pantry with.
- Pasta and other grains. When you’re cutting carbs on keto, pasta, rice, and noodles have to be the first to go . Your local grocery store might have a special health foods section where you can find low-carb or gluten-free pastas and noodles, though.
- Starchy veggies. Potatoes are off limits, and so are other starchy, high-carb vegetables like carrots, believe it or not. Colorful, leafy greens are going to be key staples to add to your basket or cart.
- High-sugar fruits. While fruit is something that is usually recommended for a healthy, balanced diet, the keto diet restricts some fruit, says , MBA, RDN, LD. Some fruits, like apples, bananas, and pears, are higher in carbs, which break down into sugars, so they’re not typically part of a keto eating plan.
- Legumes. If you eat vegan or vegetarian, certain legumes, like beans, lentils, and chickpeas, might be a regular part of your diet for extra protein. On keto, though, they’re too high in carbs and too low in fat to be compliant.
- Sugary foods. You’re going to want to bypass any aisle that includes candy, doughnuts, snack cakes, and cookies, as the sugars in any processed sweets should be avoided on the keto diet.
Don’t Miss: Keto Pooping
My Keto Grocery Shopping List
By: Justine Van Drunen Superfeet Wellness Panel Member. Justine has lost 141lbs by maintaining a healthy, active lifestyle. Justine, known online as Lean Justine, chronicles her journey on her and channels, sharing workout videos, nutrition tips and fitness inspiration. Her passion is helping others reach their goals.
Going grocery shopping can be a difficult task on a good day, especially when you add in the added task of searching for specific items because you’re following a low carb food plan.
If you’re following a keto lifestyle, you may feel overwhelmed searching the aisles for high fat, low carb options. You might even find yourself reading or questioning endless nutrition labels. Many processed, packaged foods are a no-no and certain whole foods are too high in carbs. You will need to fill your plate with low-carb, high-fat healthy foods like meat, seafood, low carb veggies and healthy fats.
When grocery shopping, I tend to stay within the outer perimeter of grocery store. This is where you’ll find the freshest foods, including produce, meat and dairy.
So without further ado, here are some things that I would recommend adding into your keto-fied grocery cart.
Keto Shopping List: Seafood
Seafood, like meat, also tends to be safe across the board to include in your keto diet shopping list. Unlike most meats, seafood usually boasts higher fat contents than their protein contents, making them ideal candidates for keto-friendly meals.
Watch out for some of the harder-shelled shellfish, though, as carb contents can tend to climb.
- Shrimp Cooked | Total Fat: .3g | Total Carbs: .2g | Protein: 24g
- Crab Cooked | Total Fat: 1.3g | Total Carbs: 0g | Protein: 16g
- Scallops Cooked | Total Fat: .4g | Total Carbs: 0g | Protein: 6.5g
- Lobster Cooked | Total Fat: .5g | Total Carbs: 1.1g | Protein: 17.4g
- Roe Cooked | Total Fat: 2.3g | Total Carbs: .5g | Protein: 8g
- Escargot Raw | Total Fat: 1.2g | Total Carbs: 1.7g | Protein: 14g
- Squid | Total Fat: 1.2g | Total Carbs: 2.6g | Protein: 13g
- Sea Urchin Raw | Total Fat: 1g | Total Carbs: 1g | Protein: 5g
- Cockle | Total Fat: .7g | Total Carbs: 4.7g | Protein: 14g
- Mussels Cooked | Total Fat: 3.8g | Total Carbs: 6g | Protein: 20g
- Clams Cooked | Total Fat: 1.7g | Total Carbs: 4g | Protein: 22g
- Mackerel Cooked | Total Fat: 34g | Total Carbs: 0g | Protein: 25g
- Catfish Cooked | Total Fat: 6g | Total Carbs: 0g | Protein: 16g
- Snapper Cooked | Total Fat: 1.5g | Total Carbs: 0g | Protein: 22g
- Tuna Cooked | Total Fat: 5g | Total Carbs: 0g | Protein: 25g
Also Check: Can U Eat Carrots On Keto
Top Keto Walmart Grocery List Items
Since I posted my Very Basic Keto Grocery List and , I thought that perhaps a list of Keto staples at Walmart might be helpful. I also run into ALDI sometimes , but with four kids I try to stick to one store per week. I took pics of many of the Keto food items at Walmart that find their way into my grocery cart each week. I know that inventory can vary from store to store, but this should give you an idea of what to look for when you are shopping. I narrowed my list down to the top 16, although clearly there are more items in my cart in the pic above. We mainly shop the perimeter of the store then add fresh produce and meats. My shopping trips are certainly much quicker now since we skip half of the store. There are tons of other keto items you can buy at Walmart, but these are the ones I use the most often.
Jump Into The Keto Diet With These Versatile Staples
The hardest part of anything is starting. You’re familiar with the basics of the ketogenic diet, the ultra-low-carb diet paired with high fat intake to guide your body into a state of fat-burning ketosis, bringing weight loss and myriad health benefits without starving yourself.
This, of course, sounds wonderful. But if you want to get into eating keto, you’ll have to change how you shop: loading up on healthy fats, meticulously calculating net carbs, and cutting out many items common to a typical American diet is easier said than done.
We’ve got you covered. With this easy keto diet shopping list, a trip to the grocery store will be less puzzling and more exciting, with fantastic keto-friendly foods combining effortlessly into delicious recipes.
So dive in and let us guide your first keto grocery list.
Also Check: No Cow Bar Keto
Is It Environmentally Friendly
If youre opting for the standard dairy and meat-loaded version, this is not the diet thats going to save the planet!
The meat industry has been highly criticized recently for its contribution to damaging the environment and climate change. Specifically, for producing methane, a potent greenhouse gas, and deforestation for beef grazing and feed-crop growing. Indeed, the planetary diet that appeared earlier this year heralded that we need to drastically reduce the amount of meats and dairy we are eating in order to stop the collapse of the natural world.
But, as mentioned earlier, the keto diet can be done with vegetarian and vegan grocery lists if you want to show a bit more love for planet earth. This will greatly reduce your environmental impact whilst on the diet and keep things green. But these are a lot trickier and require a lot more effort.
Can Help Improve Satiation
Many people believe high-fat, low-carb diets are better for satiation purposes. This can result in fewer overall calories consumed, which might result in weight loss.
In one study, 119 overweight volunteers were assigned either a low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet or a low-fat diet. The study sought to assess weight-loss diets on mood, food cravings, and other self-reported symptoms, including negative effects, fatigue, somatic symptoms, physical effects of hunger, insomnia, and stomach problems. The results showed those following a low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet experienced less hunger compared to those following a low-fat diet. Its likely the high-fat content of the ketogenic diet that plays a role in keeping you feeling fuller for longer. In turn, people may eat less food and potentially lose weight as a result.
Read Also: Is Sugar Free Coffee Mate Keto Friendly
Fish Shellfish Meat And Eggs
Eating a variety of foods is important to any healthy diet. Make sure to get your protein from different categories and aim for three 4-6 ounce servings of protein each day. And while all fish are acceptable low carb foods for Phase 1, we recommend eating the types listed here a couple times a week.
* Be sure to avoid pork products that use a sweetened glaze or additive, such as honey ham or maple bacon.
What Fruits Can I Eat On Keto
Fruit is high in sugar, which can make it difficult to eat on the keto diet. However, there are some that can be very beneficial to eat on keto without interrupting ketosis. If you are wondering which the best fruits to eat on keto are, we recommend the following:
You can read this article for more information on fruits on keto.
You May Like: Is Turkey Slices Keto-friendly
Can I Do Exercise
The keo diet is definitely exercise-friendly. Research has shown that doing exercise is absolutely fine on the diet and there is minimal risk. However, some have found that, when starting the diet, it can be difficult to exercise because of the tiredness and muscle pain associated with your body shifting into ketosis.
A Strict Keto Diet Food List
The above shopping list contains a wide range of different foods, some of which can quickly become too high in carbohydrate.
For those who are not so good at moderation , the following 101 foods on this strict keto diet food list contain less than 10g of total carbohydrate per 100g.
While this 10% limit isnt strictly necessary, this resource aims to provide you with a list of definite ketogenic foods at a glance.
Don’t Miss: Is Regular Jello Keto Friendly
Keto Beginner Grocery List For Specialty Ingredients
Besides healthy fats like chicken thighs, olive oil, avocado oil, and high-quality bone broth, there are several specialty ingredients that you will find in many keto recipes such as keto-friendly sweeteners, flours, and chocolates. There are several different sweeteners on the list, but purchasing all of them isnt necessary. Ive listed some of my favorite Keto Grocery List items below that youll need for baking, low carb bread, and keto desserts.