Nutrition And Carbs Intortillas
Normally, corn tortillas are more nutritious than flour. They usuallyhave fewer calories, less fat, and more fiber. For example, one 24-gram corntortilla has 52 calories and 11 grams of carbs. In contrast, one 24-gram flourtortilla has 75 calories and 12.32 grams of carbs. Although the caloric intakeis higher, the carbs are only a little higher.
However, corn tortillas have higher nutritional value because the cornthat they are made from, Mexican maize, has vitamin A, folate, and lutein.Flour tortillas are processed to the point that they have very littlenutritional content. From this perspective, corn tortillas have an advantage inthat they do provide some beneficial nutrients when eaten in small servings.Make sure that you check the label to avoid buying tortillas that aregenetically modified or made with hydrogenated oils or trans fats.
How Many Carbs Are In Corn
Corn, like starchy vegetables and whole grains, is a high-carb food. When it comes to macronutrients, one ear of corn comes to about 123 total calories including 2 grams of fat, 5 grams of protein, 27 grams of total carbohydrates, 24 grams of net carbs, 4 grams of sugar, and only 3 grams of fiber. It only contains 1.5 grams of total fat and 4 grams of protein.
Take the keto quiz
Corn contains different vitamins and minerals such as folate, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus. It also contains 6% of your percent daily values of vitamin A, 12% of your vitamin C, 4% of vitamin B-6, and 17% of thiamin .
Although corn is gluten-free, its considered a grain. Therefore, it may cause some allergies youre not even aware of. For some individuals, grains create a serious amount of discomfort and increase stress to the gastrointestinal tract.
Eating grains can also cause skin irritations such as a rash or hives, nausea, stomach cramps, indigestion, headaches, asthma, and more.
Read Also: Splenda Ok For Keto
My Tortillas Fall Apart When I Flip Them
If you are struggling with this then there are a few key steps you can use to prevent your keto tortillas from falling apart.
Recommended Reading: Dr Dennis Black Texas Superfood
Get Results In 30 Days
Join 90k+ people who are losing weight with Keto Kickstart, our doctor-developed program designed to give you real weight loss results.
Youre in! Check your email to get started with the program.
Well, theres good news. You can keep your weekly taco tradition, even on the keto diet.
Most tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, and your other favorite Tex-Mex dishes are packed with carbohydrates. And once you add the requisite side of rice, youre consuming well over your daily net carb allowance.
But there are alternatives that wont slow down your weight loss progress when youre on a keto diet.
Read on to find four homemade low-carb tortilla recipes, two store-bought picks, and three brands you should avoid.
Also Check: Keto Cause High Blood Pressure
Mr Tortilla Low Carb Tortillas Keto Friendly Recommendation
Mr Tortilla Low Carb Tortillas are all rated 1 Star in keto friendliness, and we dont recommend them.
We recommend throwing those burrito, taco, and fajita toppings on top of some lettuce for a salad instead. If youre dying for a tortilla, Mission Carb Balance and Mama Lupe Tortillas are better options. Just be sure to count the net carbs, stick to one or two tops, reduce carbs elsewhere, and up your fats!
You May Like: Can You Eat Fried Food On Keto Diet
Keto Diet How Long To Break Ketosis
I will cure your disease. After a long time, you will still get the disease okay eat carb diet okay to low carb Okay To Eat Low Carb Tortillas Keto Diet keto diet City Master Yu looked at Jiang Fan in surprise, Uh, how do diet pills affect the nervous system Doctor Jiang, why do you say that my wife is the root cause keto diet peanut of the disease City Master Yu looked at Jiang Fan in i need to lose weight in a month omad diet with keto confusion.
How To Make Keto
Making keto-friendly tortillas is very easy. You can make this kind of tortilla in just 20 minutes. This tortilla is grain-free and gluten-free.
For this method, you can use sunflower seed flour, almond flour, or coconut flour according to your preference.
This recipe is as simple as others and also prepares in the same way as corn tortillas, but in this, we replace corn or wheat with Almond flour, coconut flour, or sunflower seed flour.
Macros2g net carbs, 2g fiber, 5g fat, 3g protein
- Mix 125g almond flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt to a food processor. Or you can mix them by hand in a large bowl as we Indians do.
- Pour apple cider vinegar into a running machine so it can be distributed evenly. Stop the food processor once it forms like a ball. It will be sticky.
- Heat up skillets over medium heat. Check the heat by sprinkling a few droplets of water.
- Break the dough into a ball no more than 25-30g.
- Using a tortilla press makes a small thin sheet of diameter 4-6 inches.
- Transfer it to skillets for about 5 seconds and flip it over until its golden color reaches both sides. Do not overcook them.
- Now gluten-free and grain-free tortilla is ready to serve.
Also Check: Are There Carbs In Splenda
Why Arent Tortillas Low
In North and Central America, tortillas have been made with corn for centuries. Modern recipes replace cornmeal with white flour, while following the same cooking method.
Once the flour is ground, its combined with water and salt to form a dough, then flattened out into thin disks and cooked on a flat surface.
Tortillas both corn and wheat are not keto-friendly for two reasons. First, they are made up almost entirely of carbohydrates. Second, while tortillas once consisted of just three ingredients, nowadays most tortilla brands you find in the grocery store have much longer ingredient lists.
Many tortilla brands add vegetable oils, flavors , and preservatives to enhance the taste and shelf life.
How To Enjoy Keto Wraps
These are the most versatile kind of bread out there, but here are some ideas to get you started!
- Sandwiches What is better than a classic wrap? Fill your tortillas with protein, cheese, and your favorite salad vegetables.
- Main courses Use it for burritos, quesadillas, enchiladas, and nachos.
- Breakfast Make a breakfast wrap filled with scrambled eggs, salsa, avocado, and. shredded cheese.
- Pita chips- Slice up tortillas into bite-sized pieces and bake them until crispy .
Read Also: Is Carrots Keto Friendly
Tips For The Best Keto Tortillas
- Chill dough if needed. The dough shouldnt be sticky at all even right after making it, but if your kitchen is hot or humid and you find that the dough is sticky, chill in the fridge for 15-30 minutes until its no longer sticky.
- Roll them super thin. For the most pliable tortillas, 1/16 inch thick is ideal. If they are too thick, they are most likely to break.
- Pan temperature is important. Its important that the heat is high enough , otherwise the tortillas wont form dark spots and can also get too crisp. Medium heat caused them to get too crispy on my stove.
- Do not add too much oil or the tortillas will get crisp its best to add a little oil and then run a crumpled paper towel all over the surface to absorb any extra.
- Dont let get the edges of the tortillas get too dark or crispy. Otherwise, they will break when you try to fold them.
- Tortillas are only pliable when warm. If they cool and become stiff, reheat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, or in the oven at 300 degrees F for a few minutes, until warm.
- You can make excellent keto tortilla chips from these tortillas. Cut into triangles and toast in the oven at 300 degrees F, until crispy. I think I like these even better than my keto tortilla chips recipe, which is also quite delicious.
What Is Better For Diabetics Corn Or Flour Tortillas
A recent study suggests that blue corn tortillas are healthier than white, especially for diabetics and dieters. Scientists found that tortillas made from blue corn had less starch and a lower glycemic index than their white counterparts. They also found that the blue tortillas had 20 percent more protein than white.
Recommended Reading: Keto Fried Food
Can You Make Tortillas With Almond Flour
Yes, these easy gluten-free almond flour tortillas are made from almond flour and a few other ingredients like eggs, psyllium husks, and gelatin powder, all of which help give them a pliable, and roll-able texture.
The almond flour you use for making keto tortillas does matter, though. I use Wholesome Yum Almond Flour for all my keto baking recipes, as well as this almond flour tortilla recipe, because the flour is blanched and has the finest grind. Many other brands can vary in coarseness, which can lead to a gritty result. And, Wholesome Yum Psyllium Husk Powder is the secret ingredient that keeps these low carb tortillas pliable.
- Only 3 grams net carbs each
- Keto friendly, gluten-free, and dairy-free
Clean Ingredients But High In Carbs
Siete Almond Flour Tortillas is free of non-keto ingredients like sugar, artificial sweetener, and refined oils, but it is high in carbs.
It is important to check both macros and ingredients of your foods to achieve a healthy weight loss on keto.
Read Also: Corn Tortillas Low Carb Diet
A Traditional Diet And Carbs
Traditional diets tend to be heavily weighted toward carbohydrates. Popular foods such as fries, pizza, bread, wraps and crackers are all loaded with carbs. This makes your body very happy in the short term because carbs are turned into glucose which is your bodys primary source of energy. Every time you eat a carb-rich meal it is quickly converted to glucose with any glucose thats not used immediately is stored in your body as fat for a later date. This gives you a sugar high however, its quickly followed by a sugar low as your body burns through the available glucose in only a few hours promoting it to send you hunger signals for more carbs.
The problem with this approach to dieting is that you dont have a steady supply of energy. You suffer the highs and lows that come with carbs. Your body is also constantly telling you that youre hungry and that you need more food. This can be a big problem for someone whos trying to limit their calories in order to lose weight. The fat thats stored by your body for a rainy day is also never used. It just sits there and sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you cant burn that fat because your body is geared for survival and it stubbornly holds onto it so you dont starve if theres a famine or food shortage.
Youre Trying To Maintain Ketosis
You tested your ketones this morning and youre officially in ketosis. Thats awesome, but once you get there, there are no guarantees you will stay. You have to continue reducing carbs so your body will burn fat for energy instead of the glucose from carbs.
You may stick to around 20 grams of carbs per day or gradually increase your load to 30 grams, in which case one corn tortilla is still about half of the carbs you can eat.
If you want to use a good portion of your carb allotment on one meal, thats up to you, but evidence has shown that eating too many carbs in the morning compared to later in the day may impede fat burning and lead to cravings.
Don’t Miss: Is Coffee Mate Creamer Keto Friendly
How To Serve These Gluten Free Tortillas
These tortillas are very versatile and can be used to make a ton of keto recipes. Also, because these low-carb tortillas are so flexible, you dont have to worry about your tortillas crumbling. With these low carb tortillas you can make:
- Keto fajita tacos with thesechicken fajitas
- Keto wraps such asa chicken salad wrap made with chicken salad
- Keto tortilla cups
- Keto burritos and so much more.
Recipe Notes & Variations
- Psyllium husk: If you only have whole psyllium husk, you can either grind it in a coffee/spice grinder to make powder or use 2 tbsp of it whole.
- For flavored keto tortillas: Its easy to adapt with the herbs, spices, and seasonings of your choice. Some of my favorites include a combination of garlic powder and Italian herbs, some paprika and onion powder, chili powder , etc.!
- Using leftover dough: If you want to make perfect circle low-carb tortillas and have some leftover dough, you can use this to make some nachos . Or simply make an additional tortilla.
- Cooking time: Depending on your pans exact heat, you may need to slightly reduce/increase the cooking time of these keto-friendly tortillas. Try not to overheat them, or they can become brittle and lose their flexibility.
- If you plan to make tortillas often, it could be a great idea to get a tortilla press. Alternatively, use a heavy frying pan as a DIY press.
- Make sure to keep any prepared almond flour tortillas under a kitchen cloth before serving otherwise, they can dry out quickly.
- You can easily adapt this recipe to nachos by baking them in the oven or pan until crispy.
Read Also: Is Coffee Mate Creamer Keto Friendly
Are Spinach Wraps Keto Approved
Spinach wraps, from the outside, look like a keto friendly option. For instance, I took a look at Mission Carb Balance Spinach Herb Tortilla Wraps, which are promoted as having 3 grams of net carbs per serve.
Whilst this is true, they do have 3 grams of net carbs, the bulk of the ingredients are modified wheat starch, whole wheat flour, wheat gluten, vegetable shortening and wheat gluten isolate. Yikes! That sounds like a lot of wheat to me!
Eating a commercially prepared spinach wrap at 3 grams of net carbs may not put you out of ketosis, but you do need to be mindful of what ingredients they contain. Some might cause problems for those with irritable bowel syndrome, gluten intolerance and other food intolerances.
Looking further at the ingredients, the wraps contain less than 2% spinach powder, salt, onion powder, spices, garlic powder etc.
Now, Im not a food scientist, but to me it looks like a whole lot of unhealthy wheat products counteracted with a bunch of fiber to make the wrap 3 grams of net carbs. Would I buy these and eat them on keto? Probably not.
Read Also: Can You Have Corn Tortillas On Keto
Are Mission Carb Balance Tortillas Keto Friendly
Net carbs of this product lie on the higher side but Mission Carb Balance Tortillas are compatible with the ketogenic dieters. It is lower in carbs count than any other wraps, so it is a keto friendly product.
This product is available in various flavors mission carb balance spinach wraps, mission carb balance sun-dried tomato basil wraps, mission carb balance soft taco flour tortillas, mission carb balance soft taco whole wheat tortillas, and many more others. These are all keto friendly products.
You can choose them according to your taste and requirements as the variants differ in the number of net carbs, protein, fats, and fiber count. One should always refer to the nutritional information before buying the product.
What Will I Learn?
Don’t Miss: Does Keto Constipate You
Are Low Carb Tortillas Really Low Carb
Its a question that I hear many times are they really too good to be true? They key is the fiber content its usually very high and therefore the net carbs are low. If you count TOTAL carbs on your way of eating, then no, they wont be low carb.
The best way to find out is monitor whether they throw you out of ketosis after all everyone is different, and various products affect people in different ways. I recommend getting something like the Keyto Breath Sensor for super easy monitoring!